FAKTOR-FAKTOR YANG BERHUBUNGAN DENGAN INISIASI MENYUSU DINI (IMD) DI KABUPATEN BANTUL
Background: Early initiation of breastfeeding can reduce the infants mortality under the age of 28 days and can affect exclusive breastfeeding process (Roesli, 2010). In early initiation of breastfeeding and exclusive breastfeeding, there is disparities of each health center in Bantul district.
Objective: The aim of this study was to identify the association between maternal education, maternal occupation, place of childbirth, birth attendant, and health provider’s support with early initiation of breastfeeding.
Methods: The study was conducted from March 23 to April 13, 2014, used crossectional design. Subjects were the entire breastfeeding mothers with infants aged 6-8 months who meet the inclusion and exclusion criteria (204 samples). Sampling with consecutive tecnique. Data obtained from secondary data and questionnaires. Data Analysis with SPSS using Chi-square test.
Results: In bivariate analysis, there was no statistically and clinically significant association between maternal education with early initiation of breastfeeding p=0.882; OR=0.9; 95% CI=0.44 to 2.03, maternal occupation p=0.463 : OR=1.3 : 95% CI=0.65 to 2.59 , and birth attendant p=0.211 : OR=4.8 : 95% CI=3.69 to 6.33. Other factors that have a statistically and clinically significant association with early initiation of breastfeeding is the place of childbitrh p=0.007 OR=16.4; 95% CI=1.78 to 150.96 and health provider’s supports p=0.001 : OR=4.4 : 95% CI=2.03 to 9.68.
Conclusions and suggestions: There is statistically and clinically significant association between place of childbirth and health provider’s supports with early initiation of breastfeeding. Further research is expected involving the variable support of her husband/family with a prospective cohort to examine the association between early initiation of breastfeeding with exclusive breastfeeding.
Keywords: Early Initiation of Breastfeeding, maternal education, maternal occupation, birth attendant, place of childbirth, health provider’s supports.
2. Roesli, U. (2010). Inisiasi Menyusu Dini plus ASI Eksklusif. Jakarta : Pustaka Bunda.
3. Setegn, T. et al. (2012). Factors Associated with Exclusive Breastfeeding Practices Among Mothers in Goba District, South East Ethiopia: a Cross- Sectional Study. International Breastfeeding Journal. 7(17).
4. Edmond, K.M. et al. (2006). Delayed Breastfeeding Initiation Increases Risk of Neonatal Mortality. Pediatrics. Vol. 117 (3): 380-386.
5. Khanal, V., Scott, J.A., Lee, A.H., Rajendra, K., Binns, C.W. (2015). International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 14 August.
6. Chen, Y.C., Wu, Y.C. & Chien, W.C. (2005). Effects of Works-related Factors on the Breastfeeding Behavior of Working Mother in Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacture: A Cross-sectional Survey. BMC Public Health. 6(106): 1186-1471.
7. Taveras, E.M. et al. (2003). Clinician Support and Psychosocial Risk Factors Associated with Breastfeeding Discontinuation. Pediatrics. 112(1): 108 115.
8. Leung, TF. et al. (2003). Sociodemographic and Atopic Factors Affecting Breastfeeding Intention in Chinese Mothers. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 39:460-464.
9. Adenan, Z. et al. (2010). Faktor-faktor yang Mempengaruhi Kegagalan Pemberian ASI Eksklusif di Wilayah Kerja Puskesmas Sungai Besar Banjarbaru pada Tahun 2009. Berkala Kedokteran. 8(1): 10-16.
10. Aidam, B.A. et al. (2005). Factors Associated with Exclusive Breastfeeding in Accra, Ghana. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 59:789-796.
11. Susilawati. (2010). Pengaruh Inisiasi Menyusu Dini Terhadap Kelangsungan Pemberian ASI Eksklusif di Kabupaten Kampar Riau. Tesis. Yogyakarta: UGM.
12. Indrawati, T., Aenti, ER. (2012). Hubungan Status Pekerjaan Ibu dengan Pemberian Air Susu Ibu (ASI) Eksklusif pada Bayi Saat Usia 0-6 Bulan di Bidan Praktik Mandiri Kota Semarang. Dinamika Kebidanan. 2(2):-
13. Exavery, A., Kante, A.M., Hingora, A., Phillips, J.F. (2015). Determinants of Early Initiation of Breastfeeding in Rural Tanzania. International Breastfeeding Journal. 10(27).
14. Sharma, A., Thakur, P.S., Tiwari, R., Kasar, P.K., Sharma, R., Kabirpanthi, V. (2016). Factors Associated with Early Initiation of Breastfeeding among Mothers of Tribal Area of Madhya Pradesh, India: A Community Based Cross Sectional Study. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health. 3(1): 194-199.
15. Arora, S. et al. (2000) Mayor Factor Influencing Breastfeeding Rates : Mothers Perception of Fathers Attitute and Milk Supply. Pediatrics. 106(5):1-5
16. Rokhanawati, D. (2009). Dukungan Sosial Suami dan Perilaku Pemberian ASI Eksklusif di Kabupaten Bantul Yogyakarta. Tesis. Yogyakarta: UGM.