TORBANGUN (COLEUS AMBOINICUS L) INCREASE PROLACTIN LEVELS AND BREAST MILK PRODUCTION IN BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS
Background: Breastfeeding at the beginning of a infant's life is essential because the enhancement of human quality starts from the baby. Breast milk contains substances that can protect babies from bacteria and viruses that cause infections. The failure of exclusive breastfeeding is caused by various factors, one of them include nutrition of breastfeeding mothers. Breastfeeding mothers need to pay attention to their nutrition by consuming foods that have a lactagogue effect or increase and accelerate milk production. Consumption of breastfeeding mothers towards Indonesian traditional plants which have lactagogue effect is still lacking. One of the plants that contains lactagogue is Torbangun (Coleus Amboinicus L) leaf which has effect to increase the volume of milk production.
Objective: To find out he effect of giving torbangun (Coleus Amboinicus L) leaves on prolactin levels and milk production of breastfeeding mothers.
Methods: This experimental study was conducted on 32 breastfeeding mothers which divided equally into 16 mothers as a control group and 16 mothers as a treatment group. This stude aimed to determine the effect of consumption of Torbangun leaf tea for 14 days on prolactin levels and milk production.
Results: The results showed that supplementation of Torbangun leaf tea increased prolactin levels (significance 0.014 (p <0.05)) and milk production (significance 0.046 (p <0.05).
Conclusion: The results of the analysis showed that torbangun significantly increased prolactin levels and breast milk production. Lactating mothers can consume torbangun as supplementation which can increase prolactin levels and milk production.
2. Siregar MA. Pemberian ASI Eksklusif dan Faktor-faktor yang Mempengaruhi. Gizi. 2014;
3. Aldy OS, Lubis BM, Sianturi P, Azlin E, Tjipta GD. Dampak Proteksi Air Susu Ibu Terhadap Infeksi. Sari Pediatr. 2016;
4. Afifah DN. Faktor yang Berperan dalam Kegagalan Praktik Pemberian ASI Eksklusif. J Univ Diponegoro. 2007;
5. Nugraheni DE, Heryati K. Metode Speos (Stimulasi Pijat Endorphin, Oksitosin dan Sugestif) Dapat Meningkatkan Produksi ASI dan Peningkatan Berat Badan Bayi. J Kesehat. 2017;
6. Satyaningtyas E, Estiasih T. Roti Tawar Laktogenik, Perangsang ASI, Berbasis Kearifan Lokal Daun Katuk (Sauropus androgynus (L.) Merr). J Pangan dan Agroindustri. 2014;
7. Ariescha PAY, Tryaningsih U. Pengaruh Pemberian Daun Bangun – Bangun (Coleus Ambonicus Lour ) Terhadap Produksi Asi. J Kebidanan Kestra. 2019;
8. Syarief H, Damanik RM, Sinaga T, Doloksaribu TH. Pemanfaatan Daun Bangun-Bangun Dalam Pengembangan Produk Makanan Tambahan Fungsional Untuk Ibu Menyusui. J Ilmu Pertan Indones. 2014;19(1):38–42.
9. Bobak I, Lowdermilk D, Jensen M. Buku Ajar Keperawatan Maternitas (Maternity Nursing). 4th ed. Jakarta: EGC; 2005.
10. Mohanty I, Senapati MR, Jena D, Behera PC. Ethnoveterinary importance of herbal galactogogues - a review. Vet World. 2014;
11. Guo XD, Diao QY, Wang YY, Tu Y, Deng KD, Wang XJ, et al. The Effect of Administration of Rutin on Plasma Levels of Estrogen, Prolactin, Growth Hormone and Gene Expression of Their Receptors in Mammary Glands in Ovariectomized Rats. J Integr Agric. 2012;
12. Damanik R. Effect Of Consumption Of Torbangun Soup (Coleus amboinicus Lour) On Micronutrient Intake Of The Bataknese Lactating Women. Media Gizi dan Kel. 2005;
13. Syarief H, Damanik RM, Sinaga T, Doloksaribu TH. Pemanfaatan Daun Bangun-Bangun dalam Pengembangan Produk Makanan Tambahan Fungsional untuk Ibu Menyusui (Utilizationand Product Development of Bangun-bangun Leaves as Supplement and Functional Food for Lactating Mother). J Ilmu Pertan Indones. 2014;19(April):38–42.
Articles received and published by the Media Ilmu Kesehatan are by the publication, the copyright of the article is fully transferred to the Media Ilmu Kesehatan. All operational forms such as printing, publication, and distribution of hard file journals are carried out by the Media Ilmu Kesehatan. Articles that have finished the review process and have been declared accepted by the journal manager or editor will be asked to fill out a statement of submission of copyright by the journal secretary to the main author or correspondent author. The statement of transfer of copyright is signed with a seal and sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and contacted the admin of the journal to be followed up on archiving. Journal managers and editors have the right to edit the manuscript according to the provisions of the writing rules in the Media Ilmu Kesehatan.
Articles that have been declared accepted either online through the author's account on the OJS website https://ejournal.unjaya.ac.id/index.php/mik or a letter of receipt of the article (LOA), as well as those that have been published on OJS are not allowed to be published in other journals, or proceedings. The number of authors with more than one and as the main author or designated as the correspondent writer must have coordinated with members of the research team. The order of the authors submitted in the article as the author of one, two, three and so on cannot be changed when the article is published unless an error occurs in the technical operation of the journal.